Total Pageviews

Friday, February 25, 2011

Feeling Like A Beauty Queen



Jimmy got an amazing bath today! I went with my mum and best friend to Continental Hair in Toronto, the birthplace of Jimmy.  Well not actually Jimmy’s birthplace.  Apparently Jimmy is from Europe. How exotic?  And also, the other day I saw a braid of hair from my friend’s older sister.  The braid was nine inches long, and was relatively thick, but I just knew that it wasn’t enough to make one wig.  A wig takes a lot of hair. So my whole perception of where Jimmy came from changed completely.  Now I wonder, how many women or men (would a guy donate his hair?) are part of Jimmy?  And what are they doing now? So while I waited for Jimmy to have his luxurious bath, I got to try on a whole bunch of wigs.  I tried on about ten of them! One was short, and straight, a cute little bob with straight across bangs… I looked like a cross between Cleopatra and Posh Spice (I guess Victoria Beckham, but really she is always going to be Posh in my mind).  The next one was longer, still straight and really red, which made me look like Anne of green gables.  Freakishly like Anne of Green Gables.  I always pictured myself as more the Diana type, but now, I don’t know!  Next came the soccer mom wig.  A medium brown, almost shoulder length cut with a mixture of caramel and blonde highlights, and sort of side swept bangs and layers, I felt like I needed to go get the keys to my minivan and drive junior to practice, and not forget to get the groceries!  Hair really is an identifier!  I don’t think "hair" can help it though.  But, while I was trying on those wigs, I couldn’t help but feel like I was embodying a bunch of different personalities from Posh Spice to soccer mom.  The most exciting wig was a really long, luscious dark brown in colour, with loose curls, and very high cut bangs.  It was so chic, cool, and elegant, I fell in love with it completely.  The cool part is that that very wig I tried on is going to be featured, FEATURED in Elle Magazine.  ELLE MAGAZINE!!! I tried on that wig!  How cool is that?  Okay, so in that moment when I was wearing the wig, and I found out that it just was in a photo shoot and is going to be part of the April issue of Elle, I felt over the moon.  I felt sincerely happy.  I had magazine-worthy hair on my head.  I felt indescribable.  Like, that somebody finally is trying to show people that wigs are different now.  They are beautiful, they look exactly like normal hair, they are easy to use, and they aren’t for weirdos.  And, more specifically, the article (I think from what I heard) is going to show pictures of models on the runway, and then show wigs that have the exact same hairstyles!  This proves that wigs are just as good.  And this thought is important to me.  Because, in my heart I don’t believe that they are just as good.  I don’t.  And the fact that somebody is putting something that I deal with everyday in the face of thousands of girls who read Elle Magazine, just makes me want to give the person who thought of this idea the biggest hug in the world! 
            Another big leap forward in happiness, and loveliness has to do with this very blog.  On the Continental Hair website, I am going to get a link for my blog! On a real website, a link! All those people who go to that website, looking for hair solutions, will not only find that option, but they will also see that there is some support out there.  Somebody who is writing about their experience so that maybe one little thing they write will help somebody out there.  I hope that people can learn to not be ashamed for their quirks.  I haven’t learned this lesson yet.  But I hope that one day, even if I have beautiful hair that grows back on my head, or even if I am bald, I hope that my inner beauty will find its way completely out, because nobody should ever feel that their happiness has to do with their hair, or anything physical like that.  I want one day, to embrace the weird looks I get, take them as compliments, and slowly through meeting one person at a time, educate people about inner and outer beauty, acceptance, body image, and all those hard topics that everybody to some degree struggles with.  Although I know there are very happy people out there, I am no mind reader and I don’t know their secrets.  So I try to write in order to find my secret.  Exciting? I think so.  My condition has no concrete answers, I could have hair growing everywhere by the end of this month.  I could lose my eyebrows next month, or start growing hair that never falls out again.  I could lose one eyebrow and not the other.  This is my biggest fear.  Odd fear I know, but really, alopecia has a tendency to not consider symmetry when the hair decides to fall out.  Just because your right eyebrow starts to thin, doesn’t mean the little hair guys on the left will get the memo to peace out.  At any rate, I cannot wait to purchase the April issue of Elle Magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment