Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Bad Case of the Exercise Blues


I don’t know why but exercise seems to be on my mind lately.  Maybe it’s because Valentine’s Day just happened and I have consumed a greater amount of sugar than normal, so I feel the urge to work it off.  Anyhow, if I state what I am thinking plainly, it would go as follows.  Going to the gym sucks.  I also am a fan of point form right now, so here are the reasons why.

1.     Assumptions.  People assume I am sick.  At least that’s how I feel when I see their faces look at me.  I mean what do we associate bald heads with?  Well, for one, chemotherapy patients, men, and those body builder grotesquely muscle-y men, I don’t think I have ever seen one of them with a full head of hair.  Anyways, I hate the assumptions.  So much.

2.     Pity Looks.  That’s right.  Pity looks.  So normally, or at least, when I had hair, people didn’t immediately step out of my way if we were both walking towards the water fountain at the same time.  Or people didn’t immediately look to the floor when I walked by them. People have a hard time looking each other in the eye.  Especially when you’re different. 

3.     Seeing people who know me, but don’t know about my hair situation.  So I exercise bald, because it would be nasty for Jimmy to get sweaty, and it just preserves him.  So when I see people who I have met who don’t know about my hair situation it is probably one of the most awkward things in the world.  People don’t really assume that the hair on someone else’s head is not really attached to that person’s head.  People don’t usually give the benefit of the doubt for that type of thing.  Heck I don’t and I am bald! So when a situation like this arises there are a few ways to deal with it.  One.  If the person is far away in the gym, avoid them at all costs.  This is sometimes hard because you have to watching what they are doing, and plan what you are going to do in order to stay at a good distance from them. Unless they are just chilling on a cardio machine, then it’s quite feasible.  Two.  Go big or go home they say.  Approach them with a smile on your face, the smile is key or else they will think your hair flew off in the night, or just something horrible is wrong.  So, approach them with a smile and say hello! Quickly, and nonchalantly (also very important) mention that you have a hair condition so you wear a wig.  (I like the term hair condition.  It seems almost trendy in a way).  Also because nobody knows about alopecia, and I don’t always feel like spreading the word.  Then maintain the smile so the other person is at ease. 

This is the other thing that gets me.  Not only am I the victim but I am such a mediator for the rest of the people I encounter.  It’s hard.  I can’t blow up in everyone’s face about it because then that’s all they are going to associate me with.  So I have to play it cool, calm and collected.  Some days I am great at it, and it doesn’t get on my nerves, but some days, it’s just crap. 

Ya so I am feeling rather resigned from the whole situation that is living on my head right now. 

Food for thought… some people have really hair hands.  Who would of noticed? 

No comments:

Post a Comment