Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Funny Encounter #2



So this encounter might not be as funny as Funny Encounter #1, but here goes! I was studying, again.. Look at me! So diligent. Ha! But yes, I really was studying, this time it was a Tuesday morning, in the privacy of my bedroom.  It was a sunny morning and I had my blinds open so my rainbow machine could scatter different shaped rainbows across the walls of my room.  I know it seems random, but I really like my rainbow machine, a little fake crystal spins around and when the light hits it, the rainbows scatter around my room.  I’m sure there is a way better scientific answer, but all I really care about is the pretty colours I get on my walls! Anyways, I was in the middle of some intense listening for my Music History Exam, when I heard a tapping at my window.  I turned around and saw a delivery man.  He was motioning to the door, and he yelled through my window and said he had a delivery.  I knew that my landlords upstairs were getting a new fridge.  They have been receiving new refridgerators every week because they are never happy with the current one. I’m hoping this one is a keeper. Anyways, so I pointed towards the door, and I met him there. Then he said he had a fridge to deliver, so I gave him the cell number for my landlord. After he talked to my landlord, he thanked me for the help and then said, “By the way, is that cancer?” while motioning towards my head.  Since I was studying in my bedroom and it was the morning, my hair wasn’t on yet, and he caught me off guard.  The audacity of that man I tell you.  I looked him in the eye and said, “No.” Then he asked, “Oh, well what is it?” Then I said with my death-smile, “Go to the main level to deliver the fridge. Have a nice day.” And promptly, I slammed the door. It felt really good until I started to cry. I cried because the whole thing just caught me off guard, and I wanted to go upstairs and yell at the guy, but I didn’t because that’s just not the right thing either. It sucks in these situations because nobody meant to make anybody upset and then it happens, and then there is no answer because it’s too upsetting to try to get an apology out of someone like that. So you just take all the hurt and wrap it up in a little ball inside of you. And that little ball slowly turns into strength. I am so much stronger now than I was in the fall.  I remember, at the end of October my school choir was having a concert. I was going to have to wear a head scarf on my head, but I wasn’t sure if I should ask permission from my choir director or not. So I approached him, and there were a few other people ahead of me with little things to ask him. Finally when it came to my turn, I just blurted out, “I’m wearing a head scarf for Friday’s concert because a lot of my hair has fallen out.” I have never said a sentence so fast in my life. I didn’t even wait to see the reaction on his face because I walked so fast out of that room. And people who know me well know that I walk really fast. I’m not sure if my conductor even knew what I said. But as soon as I left that room I was in uncontrollable tears. Whereas now, I can talk about it with people, and tolerate their questions.  Well, to a certain extent. I can be tolerable only if they consider me as a human being and not as a science experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment