Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Some Poetry


I feel that the link between laughter and tears is a lot closer than we sometimes realize.  Maybe it's just me.  But I wrote a poem, and it illustrates how crying and laughter intersect in my life. It doesn't have a title yet, but here it is:

I start crying when I take off my wig.  I start crying
when I look in the mirror. I start crying
when a look lingers. I start crying
when I see an old photo. I start crying
when I feel overwhelmed. I start crying
when someone looks deep into my eyes. I start crying
when I am alone. I start crying
for no reason at all. I start crying
when I want to be happy. I start crying
when I just gave you a smile.  I start crying
because if I don’t I’ll laugh. 

I start laughing for no reason at all.  I start laughing
when I am alone.  I start laughing
when I see an old photo.  I start laughing
when a look lingers.  I start laughing
when I feel overwhelmed.  I start laughing
when someone looks deep into my eyes.  I start laughing
when I look in the mirror.  I start laughing
when I want to be happy.  I start laughing
when I take my wig off.  I start laughing
because if I don’t I’ll cry.

But I never start crying when I am about to sing.

I borrowed the format for my poem from a poem that my brother introduced to me by Gwendolyn Brooks! That poem goes like this:
We be real cool. We
skip school. We

lurk late. We
strike straight. We

sing sin.  We
thin gin.  We

jazz June. We 
die soon.

This poem grows on me every day, probably because it's easy to remember, and so clear. 

1 comment:

  1. Shauna I cry when when we say goodbye, I laugh when we see you again and your music is with me always thank you for your songs. xxoo

    ReplyDelete